In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Here come the nerves...

It's nearly that time...just another 24 hours to go and I'll be able to start checking the five day weather forecast! I'm hoping it will be better than the ten day forecast, which is currently suggesting we'll have 12 degrees, wind and 60% chance of precipitation. Come on sunshine - we need you this weekend!
I'm trying to keep away from the online marathon forums which all seem to have threads along the lines of 'Tell us your biggest fears for the big day', and 'Biggest marathon mistakes', but it's like a moth to a flame - I know I shouldn't look, but somehow I just can't help myself!
To get me away from my online obsessions, I went out for a short run this morning - my penultimate run before the marathon. It's a strange time. On the one hand I've been training since September, and have done everything possible to get to this point fit and ready. On the other hand I can't help thinking that maybe I haven't pushed myself enough.
One day I might stop being quite so hard on myself!
I turned the TV on at lunch time to watch some news, and for the first time this year I heard the marathon music playing, and saw the advert for the BBC's coverage on Sunday. Within seconds the nerves cranked up to the max, and now I'm a blubbering wreck!
(If you don't know which music I mean, see the link at the bottom of the page...but finish reading the blog first!)
I'm meant to be cracking on with my final project for my CMI course this afternoon, but my attention span has been reduced to that of a forgetful gnat. I've given up for now - although I might try to write some more tonight - and am ticking off jobs on my to-do list instead.
I've started to get a bag of things ready for the weekend - running kit, trainers, and, most importantly, butter fudge for the route. (I might just have to do some random sampling later to make sure it's the right stuff.)
I've also made a phone call and ordered some new chickens to keep Korma, Kiev and Nugget company. We collect them on Monday evening, in that hard-to-imagine post-marathon world, when things will go back to 'normal'. I've booked next week off work to recover, so I'll be able to keep an eye on the new ladies and make sure they settle in well. They'll be at point of lay, so hopefully we won't have long to wait before they start providing us with eggs.
What else to do? Maybe appeal to you all one more time to help with my fundraising? I'm almost up to £1000. If you can, please go to www.justgiving.com/jas-on-the-run-again and sponsor me. It really will make a big difference, and you don't even have to leave your armchair. Thank you.
I'm guessing the next time I write a blog entry I'll be in London. See you there!

The link to the marathon music...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41pzjSM1Ac

No comments:

Post a Comment