In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Don't shake me...I'll rattle

Well - it took two courses of antibiotics and a round of steroid tablets, but I think the chest infection is finally gone. Quite a good job really, as there are ONLY 19 DAYS TO GO TO THE MARATHON!!!!
There isn't time to get another long run under my belt, which means that my longest training run was the fourteen-miler a couple of weeks ago. Frustrating, but what can I do?
I've decided for the next two weeks to concentrate on tempo runs, and I'll just hope for the best on the day. My goal will be to finish - the time will be secondary. Hopefully sheer determination and crowd support will get me to the end.
It's frustrating because until January I'd be doing really well in my training and was looking at a good time (for me), but with the best part of six weeks of illness during February and March I've lost a lot of that fitness.
Hey ho. Keep calm and keep running.
The children have broken up for the Easter holidays, so when I headed out for my run this morning Kong came with me. It's always good to have company, and we did a pleasant two miles.
I was a bit breathless at the furthest point from home (isn't that always the way?!) but we slowed the pace down a bit and the return leg was a lot more comfortable.
So, the real preparation begins...
I'm going to make a list of what I'll need to take to London with me.
And I'm going to schedule lots of sleep in the next two weeks.
And lots of TLC.
And cups of tea in bed.
Girls and hubby...are you reading this...?

No comments:

Post a Comment