In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Don't get cross, get cross training

I've got a couple of days off again (I could really get used to short weeks!) and had set aside time to write the PID for the management project I'm doing. Worryingly I seem to be doing everything but, and time is slipping away. I promise I'll get stuck into later...when I've been to the hairdressers...and done some vacuuming...and...and...ok - I'm running out of excuses - I will do it today.
Talking of making excuses, I looked out this morning to see the rain hammering down and a heavy fog in the air and decided to do an exercise DVD in place of today's run. (well - it would have been awful to get my new trainers wet, wouldn't it?!)
I've been toying with the idea of replacing one of my short weekday runs with a cross training session just to mix things up, and also because I feel like I've lost some of the core strength I had built up.
For those of you who followed my blog last time round you'll remember that I tore my posterior tibial tendon part way through training, which was, to say the least, a nuisance.
I limped my way through marathon training, then took eight weeks off from running after the big day and just did cross training instead - a mixture of exercise bike, yoga, swimming and cardio.
I've built up quite a collection of exercise DVD's over the years, but having stumbled upon Jillian Micheals DVDs last summer had mainly been sticking to those. They're high impact workouts with weights and are pretty effective, and it was that one that I did this morning.
The cardio side of things was fine, but I think my stomach muscles might be a little achy in the morning. It was certainly good fun, although I'm very aware that we still haven't got the new blinds up yet. I kept a close eye out for passers by and added in a couple of extra press ups when necessary to avoid embarrassment.
At least the weather seems a little brighter and drier, so maybe I will go out for a short run later after all...not that I'm still procrastinating, you understand...I'm just committed to my training schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment