In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Somebody hide the credit card bill!

I'm very relieved that, after trawling the internet for fixes, my Garmin now seems to be behaving again. It's a good job, because I've had to spend a small fortune this week on new running gear ready for the marathon. A new watch would have been a no-no.
The running shoes I'm in at the moment are the ones I bought for the marathon last year. All the advice says that you should change them every 4-500 miles because the support diminishes over time.
I knew mine had done further than that, but they've still got lots of life left in them...or so I thought...until I tried on my new pair and realised just how worn the old ones are.
I've gone for Asics Gels again as they've served me well. They give enough support for my overpronation and are also lovely and light. I'll wear them round the house for a few days before I try them on a short run, and will switch between the old and new pair over the next few weeks. I'll aim to do about 100 miles in them between now and April, which should break them in nicely while keeping as much cushioning as possible.
I've also splashed out on a new running top and some more Hilly padded socks, which arrived courtesy of the postman this morning.
It's like Christmas all over again!
I've had a couple of days off work this week but haven't done as much exercise as I'd planned.
The muscles behind my right knee were very tight on Monday, so I did a two mile power walk instead of a run. Yesterday was a rest day, and I went out first thing today and did a couple of miles. I thought I'd been taking it quite slowly, but made good time and really enjoyed the run.
I'm planning to do another couple of miles tomorrow morning before work, then have 12 miles lined up for Saturday. I haven't thought about a route yet, but have decided to dig out my MP3 player to use as distraction.
I'm also thinking a lot more about fundraising. I am qualified to teach Creative Writing to adults, so thought I might offer a morning of Creative Writing combined with tea and homemade cakes to friends in return for a donation to my JustGiving account. I'm also hoping to hold a Pampered Chef fundraiser evening, so then next few weeks could be busy, busy, busy!
At least it keeps me out of trouble, and - much to Hubby's relief - away from internet shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment