In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Saturday, 7 January 2012

A very tough run

My asthma has been keeping me awake at night this week so I've been getting increasingly tired as the days have gone on. I also gave blood this week (my 41st pint donated), so maybe I should have taken these factors into consideration and skipped today's long run.
I'm half way through my marathon training schedule - 15 weeks done, 15 weeks to go until London - so I have enough time to postpone a long run, but last night I felt (and slept) better, so I set out at 8am.
I should have done 10 miles two weeks ago, but (as George Bush so eloquently once said) I misunderestimated the distance and ended up doing just under 9, so I decided to see how I felt and do between 10 and 12 miles today.
My weekly runs have now built up to a 3min run:1min walk ratio which is fine for my breathing and still gives me a 5mph pace. That's how I started today...for about half a mile. Almost from the off I knew it was going to be tough. It was very windy which made me work harder and feel cold, and I was verging on wheeziness straight away. I dropped down to a 2min run:1min walk ratio, but was still struggling a lot.
It was mind over matter from the outset, and I had to keep telling myself 'just a bit further'.
At mile 3 my direction changed and suddenly I was sheltered from the wind. This helped, but miles 3-6 across the back of Frankley Beeches and up to Northfield were mostly uphill, so my effort level had to go up another notch. At mile 6 I reached Northfield, and a downhill stretch greeted me...along with a very open and windy Bristol Road.
Hubby passed me in the car at about mile 7 (having dropped oldest daughter at flute choir) and he pulled over to say hello. I sat in the passenger seat for a minute to warm up, and he greeted me with 'You're doing really well' quickly followed by ' don't smell too good.' He knows all the right things to say.
I would have paid for a lift home at this point...the car was toasty warm, but I forced myself back out and carried on towards home.
Youngest daughter cycled out to meet me just as I was reaching the bottom of our road (mile 8) and had it not been for her I would have simply gone home. With her cycling alongside me, saying things like 'You're doing really well Mum' and 'Think of the bacon sandwich when we get home' I managed to struggle along for another two miles. Thank you are my hero.
So...just under ten miles done today, and I still don't know how I did it but I did. I'm mildly scared that in 15 weeks time I'll be facing 26.2 miles, but somehow I did it before, and somehow I will do it again.
But not today.
Today I'm going to put my feet up, read a book, and let everyone else wait on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment