In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Sunday, 15 January 2012

Let down by a faithful friend

Apologies for the lack of blogging this week - it's been rather busy at work and at home.
A quick catch up...hubby came out with me on one of my early morning runs and we did a gentle 2 miles - up to Whettylane Bridge, back to Callowbrook Bridge then home. It was great to have company, and I think he's just about recovered, so I'm hoping he'll join me again soon (hint, hint!)
Unfortunately my Garmin has started to play up. One friend had the audacity to suggest it might be user error. How very rude. I thought I'd solved the problem by deleting all the old data on there, but sadly not. It now turns off randomly and gives me minute and mile alerts that I haven't asked it to do. Very frustrating, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'll have to dig out the instructions and see if there's anything that can be done.
I've got an app on my phone that is counting down to the big day, and this week it tells me that there are now less than 100 days to go. The marathon is 14 weeks today. I hope it's not quite so frosty on 22nd April. The last couple of mornings have been -2 degrees. Brrr.

Today was my short long-run day. I chickened out of running in the sub zero temperatures first thing and set off at lunchtime in glorious sunshine instead.
Frustratingly my Garmin switched off before I'd even got to the end of the road, but I managed to get it switched back on. I put it on another setting and, despite giving me lots of unnecessary alerts, managed to keep track of my time, distance and pace.
My breathing was much easier today (hoorah!), and once I'd got over a bit of calf cramp during mile
one I had a great run.
I was heckled before I even set off by a friend (yes you, Mrs time you get to come with me!), again by a group of girls at mile two shouting 'get your knees up', and finally wolf whistled at mile 4 by someone old enough to be my grandfather (not good).
I completed my 5.3 mile run in a fairly respectable one hour and two minutes.
Can I go to back to bed now?

No comments:

Post a Comment