In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Sunday 18 December 2011

Batteries not included

I fully intended to do my weekend run yesterday morning, but it was a very thick frost and I chickened out.
We were out for most of the day, and by the time we got home we only just had enough energy to put the kettle on for a cuppa...a run was just out of the question.
This morning there could be no excuses, and up and out I went. The frost was just as thick and it was below freezing, but the moon was bright in the sky and the streetlights on the pavements made for a beautiful scene.
Unfortunately I'd only got to the end of the road when my watch pancaked. I must have left it turned on after my last run, and there was no battery left at all.
I now realise just how much I rely on it. It's been a long time since I've planned a route - I just head out of the door and see where I end up, but this morning I was very conscious of how far I thought I'd gone, what pace I might be doing and when I should turn back for home.
I estimate that I did somewhere between 3 and 4 miles, but if I'm honest it was probably nearer 3 than 4. I'm telling myself to be pleased that I hauled myself out of bed on a cold morning to run, but I'm also a bit disappointed that I should have done more.
Hopefully 'jumping for joy is good exercise' as it's certainly been a happy weekend, and maybe that will make up for any shortfall out on the road.
Now...where did I put that docking cradle...?

No comments:

Post a Comment