In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Saturday 3 December 2011

No excuses

Motivation can be hard to find sometimes, especially when there's so much else competing for my time, but I promised myself this year that I would just get out and run. I allowed myself to make an exception if I was ill - when running can be counterproductive - but otherwise it was 'no excuses'.
I was reading a fellow runners blog yesterday, and she said she tags on the words '...but it doesn't matter' to any excuses she might make, so 'It's raining this morning but it doesn't matter', I'm tired this morning but it doesn't matter'...you get the idea.
I like that, and I've decided to adopt that for my running sessions, and more generally in life, too.
So this morning, when I was really snug in bed, and I could hear the wind whistling outside, and I didn't want to get up I thought 'it doesn't matter' and went out and did my planned 4 mile run. And I really enjoyed it.
I timed it well - as I was huffing and puffing up the hill towards home I got a cheer from hubby and oldest daughter who were on their way out in the car.
So...today's run is done, and another four week block of runs have been ticked off on my training schedule. It's a good milestone to reach, especially as I promised myself a reward each time I completed a block of training - and what a reward it will be today. Two of our chickens started laying eggs this week, so we've saved enough eggs to have with a bacon sandwich at lunch time.
After all the chocolate I've eaten this week I should be watching what I'm eating, but in keeping with my new mantra...it doesn't matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment