In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Sunday 25 December 2011

Tis the season to eat too much and go for a long run

All the family descended on us yesterday, and we enjoyed a scrummy meal cooked by hubby and a lovely afternoon together.
I was still full by the evening but couldn't quite resist the call of cream crackers and cheddar with cranberries, so today's long run was even more necessary than usual!
We went to Bournville this morning and had been invited to Mum-in-laws for lunch, so a rough calculation told me I could do my planned 10 mile run from Bournville to the outskirts of Bromsgrove and still arrive in time for lunch.
I set off along the A38 just after midday and expected to be running in the rain - it had gone very overcast - but other than a bit of drizzle early on it was a dry run, and an unseasonably warm 11 degrees. The biggest challenge was running into a strong wind for nearly the entire route.
About three miles into the run a fellow runner caught up with me, and we ran for about ten minutes together until a quick glance at my watch told me I was running at 9min/mile pace...too fast for me on a long run. He raced on ahead, and I dropped back down to a more leisurely 11min/mile pace.
Hubby kindly brought me water at the 5 mile mark which was very welcome. I waved him goodbye just the other side of Rubery and ran on to the M5 island, then left (past Catshill) towards the M42 island. Another mile on and I hit the steep hill that leads up to my in-laws.
In the end I only did 8 1/2 miles - I'd underestimated the distance - but at least I got my timing right; lunch was just being served.
So...two big meals in two days, a long run and lots of good company. And I get to have another lie in tomorrow. And Tuesday.
Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment