In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Sunday 16 October 2011

It's the thought that counts

I had the pleasure of hubby's company on my Friday morning run. It was still dark when we went out, and the streets were quiet, with just a few cars around. I stick close to home and on the main roads when I'm out on my own, so it was great to venture a bit further afield with him, and particularly pleasant to return through the park.
Hubby was a bit surprised when two collies charged past us out of the darkness, but they were only interested in returning to their owner.
Sadly our chocolate Labrador is a useless running companion - he spends all his time jumping up at me or wrapping himself round my ankles on the occasions I've tried to take him out with me - as I've often thought how nice it would be to have his company.
Oldest daughter promised she'd come out for a run with me this morning, but soon retracted her offer when she realised it would mean a) getting up earlier than she needed to, and b) running. Oh well...I guess it's the thought that counts.
The sun was up when I went out today, so despite the light frosting on the cars I was quickly warmed up. I ran through the village, past the shops (and past the balti restaurant where we had a rather delicious meal last night) and back towards home. Today was 'long slow run' day, but the route I took was shorter than I'd anticipated, so I added on another loop back towards the village before finally heading home.
I keep a record of how far I've run and my average speed and overall time on my training schedule, which is pinned to the notice board in the kitchen (so the family can moan at me if I haven't been out when I should). My GPS watch informed me that I'd burned 253 calories while I was out this morning...I make that just enough for a guilt-free piece of cake later.
I knew there was a reason I loved running!

No comments:

Post a Comment