In April 2011 I ran the London Marathon and raised £2600 for Asthma UK. It was a 'once in a lifetime' experience...or so I thought. Bravely (or stupidly) I'm doing it again, and this blog will chart my progress while I train for my second London Marathon. Come with me on my journey towards the big day. Here I go...again!

Wednesday 16 November 2011

A 'More Hare than Tortoise' kind of day

For those of you who read my blog on Monday, you'll be pleased to know that I avoided the bacon sarnies at lunch time and stuck to the healthy option that I took with me. Two days running would have been a bit of a tall order (and we did work very hard on the course, so deserved a treat - honestly) so yesterday I opted for sausage and mushroom, and it was superb!



Today is the first day of my week off...yippee!
I've started doing some tempo runs to try to improve my speed and endurance, so after a good warm up this morning I embarked on 1 minute hard running followed by 1 minute gentle jogging.

The fast running was great for getting the blood pumping, but I soon got very wheezy - something that hasn't happened even on my long runs. It wasn't bad enough to make me change my plans, but by the end of the run (2 miles) I knew I'd worked hard.

Interestingly (well, it is if you like this kind of thing!) my average pace was 30 seconds a mile slower, so even though I was pushing harder during the fast stretches my recovery must have been much slower. At least over the next few months these tempo sessions should help my overall speed.

So - now I have a whole day stretching ahead of me with nothing to do. Well - I say nothing, but I've got to get the paint out of the dogs tail after he backed into the paint tray yesterday, do the washing, tidy up, read through my notes from my course and set myself some action points, do the shopping...

Time for a cuppa and some toast first!

No comments:

Post a Comment